Wednesday, October 15, 2008

ASSIGNMENT 3-1, RIP Paul Newman

Today I had to choose which news worthy current event to write about, OJ Simpson found guilty of armed robbery and may serve life in prison, or the death of beloved Paul Newman. Since you can only die once and as a tribute to one of my favorite people, I chose to write about Paul Newman.

The last time I choked-up hearing the death of an American icon was when Marvin Gaye died in 1984. Is it just my imagination or have there been more recent unexpected deaths of famous American figures. Or perhaps I am just getting old, but here to name a few: Bernie Mac, Heath Ledger, Walter Matthau, Bo Diddley, Yves Saint-Laurent, Harvey Korman, Sydney Pollack and lets not forget Mr. Clean (House Peters, Jr.).

Not only was Paul Newman an amazing human being who devoted his efforts in many charitable causes, he also has a string of movies to his credit dating from 1954 to 2007. When I first heard of his death immediately, my mind recalled the movie "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" where he played Brick the impotent, ex-football player while Elizabeth Taylor played Maggie his sexually frustrated wife. They both were extraordinarily beatiful and gave a superb performance. Including the movie "Cool Hand Luke" were he played the gritty, rugged Luke who just refuse to conform to hostile prison life.

I wonder what will happen to his line of food products and the charities they support, and would his death provoke more people to buy or try his products. Today my heart goes out to his wife of 50-years, Joanne Woodward who also has a string of movies to her credit and the five daughters Paul leaves behind. No doubt Paul Newman will be missed----RIP.

No comments: